There is no way you can reach your business goals without learning how to manage your time properly and that’s why as a business owner, you must be committed to learning time-management skills that will put you on the path of progress. When it comes to being able to manage one’s time effectively, I wasn’t always on top. There was a time in my life when I simply could not account for how I spent my time let alone reach my goals and instead of finding ways to learn how to manage my time effectively, I resorted into a blame game and convinced myself that I simply needed more time.
Over time, I noticed that year after year, I kept falling farther away from my goals and then decided to research about time management. During my research, I came across powerful teachings by the great American Business Philosopher, Jim Rohn who opined in many of his messages that everyone had the same 24 hours daily and the difference in the results was about how we spent our time. From listening to Jim Rohn speak about the importance of being accountable for time spent, I began to experience a new level of time consciousness that helped me to begin to reach my business goals.
As a business owner, if you truly want to reach or exceed your goals, you must learn how to manage your time effectively. Here are 6 time-management tips you can immediately implement and start getting results.[Read: Starting a New Business? Here are 6 Common Mistakes to Avoid]
1. Listen to something inspirational after you wake up: One of the ways you can learn how to manage your time effectively, get more things done and reach your business goals is by listening to something inspirational daily. Inspirational teachings have a way of charging up one’s spirit which in turn sets you in the right mood for getting things done.
When you listen to something inspirational, you begin to see possibilities instead of impossibilities.
You feel empowered to take on tasks you’d normally avoid or that would have taken you longer to accomplish. Inspirational messages breed creativity, sparks your passion and give you a drive toward spending your time on things that matter.
2. Start your day with goals: If there’s one “time-management” tip I readily offer to anyone who solicits for my opinion on the subject matter, it is that you should start your day with goals. Many years ago, my family moved close to one of my favorite shopping malls. Many times, I visited the mall out of impulse instead of having a real goal. The result? Going back home with shopping bags containing items I don’t need and the more mind-boggling thing is the time wasted on activities that drew me farther from my goals.
If you truly want to grow your business, you must learn to start your day with specific goals in mind.
This will help you prevent distraction or getting involved in activities that are not already in your schedule. The result? You’ll start managing your time better, get more things done and get better results than the average person you know.[Read: How to Get Started with Content Marketing]
3. Work during your optimal performance time range: In order to manage your time effectively and grow your brand, you must learn to work when you know that your optimal performance is guaranteed. What is optimal performance, in this context?
Optimal performance is when your performance is at its peak.
I believe everyone including you and I have times during a given 24-hour period when we perform optimally. For example, if you are someone whose brain performs optimally at night, you may want to schedule your activities during that time and vice versa. Trying to work at a time for which you are not built for not only waste times, but also it’s a perfect recipe for not getting things done.
4. Spend more time on activities that produce a profit: As a business owner, you are in business to acquire customers and make a profit. Anything outside of that is called a filler. Many business owners waste time, become overwhelmed and do not produce results because they do not focus their energy on profit-producing activities. What do you focus your time on?
Activities like posting on social media that gets you plenty of likes but no customers is an example of an activity that yields no profit.
Responding to customer inquiries in a timely fashion, submitting a proposal to a prospect/customer and giving a sale presentation are examples of activities that produce a profit in a business. Take a look at your business and decide which of your activities produce profit and start spending more time on those activities so you can move closer to reaching your business goals.[Read: How to Start Charging Customers What You Truly Deserve]
5. Shut down your phone: I wish there was a way I could imprint this in the heart of every business owner I know.
If you want to become a better manager of your time and reach your business goals, you must learn to shut down your phone.
My phone used to be a source of huge distraction for me with the never-ending beeps and notifications that lure me away from doing the things that truly matter. When I noticed how much time I waste pressing my phone endlessly and wandering the internet like a lost child, I decided to start turning off my phone when I am in the middle of completing my most important tasks. For my less important tasks, I leave my phone on but place it on mute (in fact, my phone has been on permanent mute for the last 3 years) and place it face down. With this practice, I have not only been able to better manage my time and reach my business goals, but I have also experienced sanity (for a lack of better word) than ever before.
6. Delegate: There’s nothing that waste time as much as spending time on tasks that could easily be delegated to someone else or even to technology. As a business owner, there’s always a tendency not to want to delegate because of the other person’s ability to get the job done. In the process of trying to do everything yourself, can lead to burnout, ineffectiveness and ultimately, having little to no results to show for the time spent.
Thank you for reading. What other time-management tips would you like to share? Kindly leave a comment below and remember to share this post with a friend.