Do you think creative people were born or made? There’s no right or wrong answer to this question. A person can either be born with innate creativity or develop creativity. The better news however is, whether you are born with creative abilities or not, creativity can be inspired, nurtured and developed in anyone who desires to be creative.
In his book, Human Motivation, 3rd ed., Robert E. Franken defined creativity as the tendency to generate or recognize ideas, alternatives, or possibilities that may be useful in solving problems, communicating with others, and entertaining ourselves and others.
Based on this definition, it can be inferred that creativity requires some type of conscious effort. It does not just appear from the sky – it’s the result of certain actions and steps we take. People who are born with creative skills, therefore, need to “work” on their creative ability. Creativity is like a muscle – it’s either you “use it or lose it.”
Practical Ways to Inspire Creativity
Whether you were born with creative skills or not, there are many ways in which you can inspire some creativity and change the world around you. Here are six practical ways you can use to inspire creativity.
1. Daydreaming: A lot of people see daydreaming as an activity that is only for kids little do they understand that daydreaming is a perfect recipe for “inspiring” creativity.
Imagination and creativity goes hand-in-hand and when you daydream often, it makes your imagination go wild.
Daydream and fantasize about how the world should be through your own lens. Think about ways in which you can change the status. Daydream about how your ideal fairytale world would be and watch your creativity spark beyond what you can currently think of.
2. Solitude: This simply means taking the time to be by yourself in a quiet place. A lot of people feel the urge to always be surrounded by people yet wonder why they are not so creative. Being by yourself sparks and inspires creativity. Solitude often times lead to a rebirth because it provides the opportunity for a reflection.
3. Questioning the status quo: You can inspire creativity by questioning the status quo. Our brains are wired to answer question. If there’s a certain area of life you’d love to explore, question the way things are currently being done in that area. For example, Zukerberg was passionate about connecting people on campus together. For years and years, people have used year books but these are only applicable when the school ends. He had to question the status quo to come up with a solution that will allow all students to connect with one another irrespective of the time of year. To become creative, you must question the status quo instead of settling for default.
4. Looking at things from a different perspective:Perspective matters! If you only look at things from your narrow lens, creativity will become obsolete in your world but of you take the time to expand your horizon or start viewing things from a perspective other than your narrow lens, you’ll become more and more creatively inspired.
5. Taking the time to recharge: This is perhaps one of the best ways to inspire creativity. If you work all year round without taking the time of to frequently recharge, you are dampening your creative ability. Even many American companies are recognizing it and are giving their employees unlimited time off. As an entrepreneur, don’t wear yourself out by working all year round. Instead, take the time of to recharge so you can inspire your creativity, serve your customers better and get better results over time.
6. Practicing: Creativity can inspired through practice. If you let practicing creativity to be a part of you, then your body will become accustomed to being creative. Constant thinking, practice, and implementing allows you to inspire creativity more than ever before. When you are creative, you become innovative, spend less and achieve more.
Thank you for reading. What other ways can creativity be inspired? Leave a comment and remember to share this post with a friend.