Ideas rule the world, they say, but why are people still running from pillar to post? I ask because, for most women, including myself, ideas have never been a problem. Instead, knowing which ideas to choose and which ones to drop at a point in time, is a major problem among women entrepreneurs. I was once like that too; my head is always buzzing with seemingly great ideas which I couldn’t seem to let go. The result? Stretching myself too thin and not achieving any tangible results. I have since learned how to deal with the problem without letting go of my ideas. Call it, “win-win”. Yes, I love winning and today, I’ll share with you how you can go from having multiple ideas to gaining clarity in 5 easy steps.
- Adopt an idea bank: In the past, each time I had a business idea, I was quick to implement on impulse. This means, each time a seemingly great idea comes in my head, within hours, I would have implemented it without thinking it through. Does this sound familiar? My rationale for acting that way was: An idea this great cannot be allowed to slip under the carpet. It took me long to understand that, not all ideas need to be implemented, especially when they do not align with my current goals. But once I understood that there is no wisdom in implementing ideas on impulse, working hard and then getting intangible results, I decided to start doing things differently. One of the things I did differently was adopting an idea bank. An idea bank is a place where I can drop my ideas without the pressure of having to act on them or having the feeling of loss if I don’t act on them. It’s where I can drop my ideas knowing that they are safe and I can always go back to retrieve. This has worked in my favor in more ways than one and it gives me confidence knowing that my ideas are not lost.
- Conduct a SWOT analysis on your top three ideas: Whether you are a new or seasoned entrepreneur, conducting a SWOT analysis on your ideas before implementing them will help you make an informed decision before losing the sight of the shore and finding yourself in the middle of the deep blue sea. SWOT analysis is an acronym which means “strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.” Why is this important, you may ask? A SWOT analysis forces you to think through your ideas properly before taking a dive. Of course, there’s no way one can think about everything that will happen in the future, but conducting a SWOT analysis on your top three ideas will let you know which idea has the least barrier to entry and for which you can quickly gain your footing as you try to build a profitable brand. You’ll also have the confidence of knowing that, after picking one idea, the remaining two ideas will be kept safe in your idea bank.
- Proceed by all means: There’s something called “buyer’s remorse” which simply means a buyer changing his or her mind after showing interest in making a purchase or even after making a purchase in some instances. It has happened to me severally: I want something so bad and then after few hours, days, or even weeks, I don’t want that thing anymore. If it’s something I can return, I end up returning it. This happens for several reasons which I am not going to address here but I love the analogy because it helps me reiterate the importance of proceeding by all means. As humans, our initial excitement about anything eventually wanes off or even if it doesn’t wane off, we experience moments of “deep and rise” like waves of the ocean. This is life but for you to win at anything you must be willing to give it all it takes. Do not allow your initial excitement about implementing a great idea wane off because of temporary delays or setbacks. Instead, push yourself and make sure you implement.
- Stay on “course”: One of the hardest things to do in life is “staying on course.” If you are not disciplined enough, the chances of veering off course are as high as drinking water after a 25-mile marathon. There are plenty of things that will happen and it will make you justify your veering off course. Slow sales, not enough customers, bad economy, peer pressure, lack of contentment, life issues, etc. But if you do not have the discipline of staying on course, you will continue to make moves with no tangible results to show for it. One thing that really bothers me is when I see smart people who are seemingly struggling to make ends meet. It tells me that being smart in academics does not mean you’ll make smart choices in life.
- Have the right attitude: This is one topic I can speak about the whole day because I see a lot of entrepreneurs with very limiting attitudes. Limiting attitudes can come in different shapes or forms, but the common thing about attitude is that it comes from within. This means it can be controlled or uprooted and replaced. Why is having the right attitude a big deal when it comes to gaining clarity? It is because attitude is everything! I do not need to repeat that but to reinforce my point, I’ll repeat; attitude is everything! It takes the right attitude for you to get your ego out of the way and listen to wise counsel. It takes the right attitude for you to trust the process. It takes the right attitude for you to understand that sunshine comes after a storm. And it definitely takes the right attitude for you to treat your customers like eggs that should not slip off your hands. Adopt the right attitude today!
As you can see, none of these five steps is rocket science and it’s the reason why people fail to implement them. However, because you have taken time to read, I trust that you’ll begin to take the steps you need to take so you can succeed in business and prosper in life.
Which of these steps resonate with you the most? What is currently stopping you from living your dreams? How have you been dealing with your multiple ideas? Share your thoughts with me in the comment box below.