If you have a passion for writing and sharing your valuable thoughts with the world, there’s no better way to unleash than to start a self-hosted WordPress Blog! Blogging is a tedious but rewarding journey when done right. On the flipside, it can also be a fruitless effort if you are not planning to go the extra mile.
If you are reading this and you want to start a Self-Hosted WordPress blog, you are in the right place. All you need is to follow the step-by-step instructions below and your self-hosted blog should be ready in 30 minutes or less. Isn’t that exciting?
A self-hosted WordPress blog is free to use and it’s where the top industries and brands host their blogs and websites. WordPress also gives you the flexibility and opportunity to customize your blog to your preferred look and feel. With all these competitive advantages, why would you build your blog anywhere else?
WordPress, though free, requires that you get a domain name from a service provider or host. Examples of hosts include Blue Host, Site Ground, Go Daddy, Dream Host, WP Engine etc. Out of all these, my top recommendation is Blue Host most especially with its one-click install WordPress system.
Now, let’s get started with the tutorial.
2. Once you click the green button, you’ll be brought to the page below where you’ll need to be prompted to select a plan. You have three choices to select from namely Basic, Plus or Prime. Prime offers you the full benefit and you should consider choosing that. However, if you don’t have a big budget, you can choose the basic option which allows you to get started. As you grow and gain clarity, you can always upgrade your plan to fit your needs. Click the select button highlighted in green at the end of your preferred plan option.
3. After you select a plan, the next step is to choose your domain name. Your domain name is your online identity. It is that name you tell others when they ask you what your website/blog site is. Put great thought into choosing the domain name that is right for you. The first thing to put into consideration while choosing a domain name is that the name must speak to the essence of what you do, must be easy to remember and free of hyphens. Avoid names that are too long or names that contain numbers.
What will yours be? Enter it without spacing or .com in the box to the left below where it says “new domain”. Once you have entered your domain name, click NEXT.
With the new Blue Host package, your domain name comes free. However, if you already have a domain name, enter it in the box to the right where it says “I have a domain name.”
4. Upon clicking next, you will be brought to the page below where you’ll enter your account information.
Here, you’ll have the option of paying for hosting for:
The 36-month option is preferable because it saves you money while not having to worry about making a payment for 3 whole years. How cool is that!
5. Next, you’ll be brought to a screen as shown below where you’ll be required to input your payment information. Enter your payment card information and then click the “submit” button in green as shown below.
6. Congratulations on getting your own domain name! The next step is to create a password. Please click on the green button that reads “create a password” as shown below
7. Once you click that it takes you to the screen below. Enter a password that you can easily remember but cannot be easily duplicated by others.
8. The next screen you’ll get after you input your password is the one below where you’ll be prompted to login. Click “login” as shown in the image below.
9. The next page that comes up will look like the one below. This is the super exciting part because you get to choose a theme. A theme is like the interior decor of your house. How you want it to look and feel is totally up to you. You can choose from any of the themes or you can purchase your own themes. For the purpose of this tutorial, I’ll assume you want to pick a theme from any of the ones below. If you pick a theme and you find out later that you do not like it, that’s not a problem, you can come back to change it.
If you pick a theme and you find out later that you do not like it, that’s not a problem, you can come back to change it.
10. Next, you’ll a screen just like the one below will pop up after choosing your theme and at this point, you should give yourself a pat on the back for the ability to do what you previously thought was hard or out of reach. Click “start building” to start customizing your WordPress site
11. At this stage, you have the ability to continue to customize your site based on your purpose and preferences. For example, if your website is for business purpose, you may click the “business” tab or if it’s for personal purpose, you may “click” the personal tab and you may also bypass it altogether. And click on any of the tabs on the left (as shown below) to begin your customization process.
12. Once you are done, the screen below will appear and it’s your opportunity to showcase your hard work to the world. You can click “add new post” in the “content” section on the left side to write your first blog post or introductory post and as I stated previously, you can click on each tab on the left to customize your settings. Your blog/website project is an ongoing one and not something you’ll do once and forget about. For this tutorial, click on the “launch” button below and bingo, you are live!!
13. The next step is to give your site a name and description. For example, the name of my site is “Onpoint Success” and my description is “helping women entrepreneurs build profitable brands online”. Go ahead and type in yours. Click “next step” once you are satisfied.
14. Bingo!! You made it!! Congratulations!!! The screen below is your last step and it’s showing you your Blue Host account C-panel. From here you can decide to log out or login into to your WordPress account for further customization or simply blast the message out to everyone about your exciting new website.
Thank you for following this tutorial. If you used followed the steps to create your self-hosted WordPress blog, leave a comment below. If you have any question about your self-hosted WordPress blog, feel free to ask below. Remember to share this post with a friend.