Three years ago, I organized a seminar in Lagos, Nigeria tagged “Passion to Profit” and little did I know that the event will impact more lives than I can ever keep track of.
My idea was simple. I had learned how to profit from my passion with little to no resources and it was time for me to teach others how to do the same.
Planning and hosting the event beyond the borders was tasking but the fruits outweigh the seed and the labor. Till this day, I am still in touch with many of the participants and I have watched them blossom in their respective fields.
Do you have a skill you are passionate about? Have you always wondered whether you can profit from your passion? Well, I have good news for you and that is, profiting from your passion is a real thing. You can be passionate about something and build a profitable it.
Why Passion is Important
A lot of people question why passion is important and I would like to address that before I share the steps of getting started. Passion is important because building a profitable brand or business is an arduous task such that without passion, throwing in the towel becomes inevitable.
I remember when I first started my business, it took me 15 months before I made the first sale. If I wasn’t passionate about my brand, there was no way I could have waited for that long.
Other than this reason, entrepreneurship is filled with a lot of rollercoaster moments such that if you are not rooted in passion, it is very easy to be thrown off the ride. For these reasons and many more, passion is important when it comes to entrepreneurship
Now that you have decided to start profiting from your passion, it’s time to talk about how to get started. As with every great thing in life, you must be willing to follow the process and give it all it will take.
Profiting from your passion is not something that will happen overnight. It is something that will happen over time. Also, your goals will not be achieved on a platter of gold, it takes sweat, grit
- Decide on a unique name: The name of your business is everything so you should take your time in picking a unique one. When picking a name, decide on a name that speaks to the essence of your brand and that will be memorable to anyone that “hears” it.
- Create a business model: A business model is a document that details how your business will make a profit. Knowing how your business will make a profit is very important and you should not skip this process.
- Register your business: A lot of entrepreneurs skip this stage but it’s important that you register your business as soon as possible. Registering your business makes it official and it also ensures that no other business is using the same name.
- The last thing you want is building your brand and then when you are ready to register, the business name you chose has been registered by someone else.
- Set up your social media accounts for business: The moment you decide to start profiting from your passion, it’s time to start doing things
likeyou mean it. Setting up your social media accounts sends a strong signal to your networkthat you are ready for business. In addition to this, having these accounts aresure ways of letting those who need your services easily find you.
- Get professional looking pictures: A picture is worth more than a thousand words. The type of pictures you use on your business accounts sends a message to prospects about the type of brand you are about to do. As you are getting started, be sure to use professionally-looking pictures. My preference is that you organize a professional photo shoot with a photographer that understands branding. If money is a constraint, you can get stock photos from websites like Pixabay, Pexels and even Unsplash.
- Create appealing graphics: As pictures are very important, so are graphics. Graphicsare not just about creating anything, the key is to create appealing graphics. In the past, I used to recommend getting a graphic designer. However, if you want to get things done fast and save money, there are many apps and web-based tools you can use in creating appealing graphics.
- Create content that will last you for one month: The fastest way to undermine your efforts is to start a brand and run out of content in a short time. If you run out of content, you’ll lose a huge chunk of the target audience you are beginning to attract.
- Announce your launch day: I see people starting a business without any announcement yet get upset that no one patronizes them. It does not work that way. To profit from your passion, you must get your brand into the sub-conscious minds of the people you seek to serve. Announcing a launch day is a great way to alert people in your network that something grand is coming.
- Create a special offer: On launch day, you need to give your target audience a reason to tell others about your brand. One way to do this is by creating a special offer that can be passed along. From offering a certain percentage off to waiving fees or offering referral kickbacks, you can create offers that are too good to resist.
- Launch your business: Once you announce your launch day, start working toward launching your business. You can choose to launch at a physical location or online depending on the type of business and what you are trying to achieve.
Once you follow these steps, you are ready to profit from your passion. Remember that these steps are just the beginning steps and things don’t stop there. You’ll need to continuously market your brand and come up with strategies to not only attract customers, but also to retain them.
All in all, building a profitable brand from your passion is one of the best things you can ever do for yourself.
Thank you for reading. What other step will you take to profit from your passion? Leave a comment below and remember to share this post with a friend.